Monday, January 20, 2014

Don't "Should" on Yourself

Think about how often you say "I should" (either aloud or to yourself) and what it means to you.

"Shoulds" come with obligation, duty, guilt, comparison.

If you are always telling yourself, "I should lose weight" then who are you doing it for?  How compelling has it been in the past to lose weight 'because you should'?

Wants are cravings and desires; they pull you towards them and are associated with positive action or reward when you do/get them.

Try changing your language, and see how your perspective changes when your brain hears something in a different way:

"I want to go for a walk"
"I want to eat a healthy meal (with fiber/vegetables that will keep me satisfied, that I will feel good about)"
"I want to keep my food log/do my workbook homework after dinner"

This week, try changing some "shoulds" to "wants" and notice how differently you react.

Feel free to leave comments here!

No comments:

Post a Comment